- Make Time for Short Practice Sessions 2014 September 22
Practice more often, instead of worrying about practicing longer. These guidelines will help you make the most of your minutes and practice effectively.
- Slow Tunes Down with REAPER for Learning By Ear 2014 September 10
Here’s how to slow tunes down for ear training and learning using free software. It’s quick, it’s easy, and it’ll open new musical doors for you! Has video.
- RF Interference Testing the Naiant X-R Hypercardioid Mandolin Mic 2014 August 28
Testing my Naiant mandolin mic to see how it handles RF interference from being placed next to a cell phone that’s transmitting data.
- Mandolin Mic: Naiant X-R Hypercardioid 2014 August 28
Mandolin mic setup with the Naiant X-R hypercardioid capsule. Pictures, sound files, and discussion.
- Mandolin Picks Comparison 2014 August 02
How different do mandolin picks sound? Listen to 28 different picks tested by the same player on the same instrument and see what you think!
- Mandolin Picks Comparison answer key 2014 August 02
Answer key for the Mandolin Pick Comparison article.
- Making a new mandolin bridge 2014 January 15
Homemade mandolin bridges yield significant changes in tone, volume, and responsiveness compared to standard bridges. Includes photos and sound samples.
- Jay O’Hara of Bourne (tune) 2013 October 04
(The recording is at the bottom of the page)
Last night, I wrote a tune while practicing mandolin. The first bones of it just arrived in my head and the rest came quickly as I played. I rewrote a few bits this morning to tighten it up, and this tune is the result. I pulled out ...
- Using Metronomes Effectively – Part 1 2013 September 26
Everyone knows you’re supposed to buy a metronome if you’re going to be a musician. It’s one of those pieces of wisdom that passed into our culture as an article of faith. Music teachers will all tell you to get one, but we rarely offer much help in terms of how to use them effectively.