- Fix The Problem, Not The Blame 2015 March 01
When a problem comes along, four fundamental questions travel with it: why it happened, how we can fix it, how we can prevent it, and who’s to blame for it.
- Six Thinking Hats at the Hotline 2015 February 25
How well do you think? I’m not talking about your intelligence—I’m asking about how you use it. Are you getting the most out of it? How can you tell?
- Nutrient Imbalances in Teaching: Understanding vs. Practice 2014 October 29
When classes aren’t going well, there’s often an imbalance between understanding and practice.
- Instructional Design Means Advocating for Learners 2014 October 18
How is instructional design different from teaching and subject matter expertise? It’s our job to focus relentlessly on learners, not content.
- The Protocol For Help 2014 October 08
Five simple questions you should answer before trying to help others.
- Want Your Kids To Survive Common Core? Do These 6 Things 2014 October 07
Frustrated with Common Core? Want to help your kids survive the transition to CCSS? Parents have a critical role to play.
- Want Your Kids To Survive Common Core? (short version) 2014 October 07
Frustrated with Common Core? Want to help your kids survive the transition to CCSS? Parents have a critical role to play. (this is the condensed version)
- Checking In On Student Understanding With Thumbs 2014 October 03
I use thumbs-up, thumbs-down, and thumb-sideways signals when checking in with students. It gives me fast, confidential, no-tech formative assessment.
- Corporate Funding and Common Core 2014 September 24
Did corporations plow mountains of money into the development and adoption of the Common Core State Standards? If they did, does it matter?
- Make Time for Short Practice Sessions 2014 September 22
Practice more often, instead of worrying about practicing longer. These guidelines will help you make the most of your minutes and practice effectively.
- Preparing for Work 2014 June 13
Many traditions talk about approaching your work with focus and care. Here’s why preparing is important and how to do it well for any kind of work.
- Atomic Actions 2013 December 21
Atomic actions are tools for preventing distraction and focusing your attention fully during times when it’s critically important.
- The Problem 2013 December 04
The problem, stated succinctly. This is why things don’t change.
- Lies My Teacher Told Me About Common Core 2013 December 03
I’ve been told all kinds of truths, half-truths, and outright lies about the Common Core State Standards. Let’s look at some data and bust some myths!
- Pipers’ Gathering 2013 Instructors Concert (listen) 2013 November 23
Listen to music by Hollis Easter from the 2013 Pipers’ Gathering Instructors Concert in Burlington VT. Five videos on this page with liner notes. Bagpipes!
- Of Mice and Mindsets 2013 November 05
Of Mice and Mindsets
Before you read the rest of this, watch this video of a Russian mouse with a great attitude:
That mouse would be a failure in most schools.
Unless they’re using something like standards-based grading (SBG) that allows students to reassess skills that they didn’t ace the first time, most schools and universities ...