- To Feel The Chill 2016 December 08
It suffices, perhaps, to say that this has been a dark time. A time of hope transmuted into fear, a time of disbelief, a time of anger, a time of labor, a time of love, a time of mute horror limned by swastikas and flaming crosses in the night.
- The Naked Truth About The Trump Statues 2016 August 20
When you post pictures of the naked Trump statue, I think about the similarities to how I look in the mirror, and I wonder if you’re aware that you’re using my appearance to shame Trump. If you’re aware that the ridicule doesn’t just touch him–it touches me.
- Does Privilege Still Exist In Our Society? 2014 December 10
A dialogue about whether privilege exists, and why it’s often invisible. What faith provides the evidence of things not seen?
- The CIA Torture Report: Summary of Findings 2014 December 09
Not a fun read, but important. Bullet points about the Senate’s report on CIA torture, detention, and enhanced interrogation. We did bad things.
- Protected By The Color Of Our Skin 2014 December 03
I wear armor that Eric Garner never had. I’m protected by the color of my skin.
- Why Does Assisted Suicide Bother Us So Much? 2014 November 08
Assisted suicide kills many fewer people than suicide overall each year, but there’s much more public effort to prevent it. Why?
- A Taoist Parable of Elections 2014 November 05
The elections gave us the worst possible result… and the best.
- The Protocol For Help 2014 October 08
Five simple questions you should answer before trying to help others.
- Want Your Kids To Survive Common Core? Do These 6 Things 2014 October 07
Frustrated with Common Core? Want to help your kids survive the transition to CCSS? Parents have a critical role to play.
- Want Your Kids To Survive Common Core? (short version) 2014 October 07
Frustrated with Common Core? Want to help your kids survive the transition to CCSS? Parents have a critical role to play. (this is the condensed version)
- ‘If’ Doesn’t Belong In Apologies 2014 October 01
“We’re sorry if we offended you”? No you aren’t. Taking responsibility is important, and it starts with ditching the “if”. Apologies work better without if.
- “Just a Flesh Wound”: Moving Past Stupid Arguments 2014 September 29
Some people debate like the Black Knight: there’s no way to convince them your rebuttal wasn’t just a flesh wound. We should stop arguing and move on.
- Corporate Funding and Common Core 2014 September 24
Did corporations plow mountains of money into the development and adoption of the Common Core State Standards? If they did, does it matter?
- The People’s Climate March 2014 September 20
Will you join me in talking about the climate today? We need action, we need it here, and we need it now. And, if you can, go to the March in NYC!
- Doublethink in Obama’s ISIS/ISIL Declaration 2014 September 11
Doublethink involves holding two opposing views and believing both are true. I think Obama’s ISIS declaration asks us to believe doublethink. Do you?
- Voting for ‘Unviable’ Candidates 2014 September 09
I’m tired of voting for “electable” candidates who don’t share my values and systematically damage things I care about. Time for change, one vote at a time.
- Victory for the Lobster Boat Blockade! 2014 September 08
Jay O’Hara and Ken Ward won a huge victory for the climate activism world today when their #ClimateTrial/#LobsterBoatBlockade case was, essentially, dropped. Onward!
- Spirit Airlines Doesn’t Care About Being Offensive 2014 September 06
Spirit Airlines used Jennifer Lawrence’s leaked-photo debacle to cash in on publicity for itself. And they refuse to apologize.
- Spirit Airlines Wants to Cash In On Jennifer Lawrence 2014 September 03
Spirit Airlines thinks it’s a good idea to use the Jennifer Lawrence stolen-photos fiasco to sell more airfares. I don’t.
- Jennifer Lawrence Is A Crime Victim, Not A Sex Symbol 2014 September 01
Her body isn’t there for us to consume. Let’s talk about how she’s the victim of a targeted crime, not about how “naughty” we think her stolen photos are.
- Shaming Our Allies in Suicide Prevention 2014 August 31
Suicide prevention rests on a foundation of community support. Let’s make sure we don’t accidentally alienate our allies in talking about Robin Williams.
- Censorship of Aliaa Magda Elmahdy’s Body 2014 August 29
Aliaa Elmahdy’s anti-ISIS image is powerful, shocking, and honest. If we care about freedom, why are we changing it into something different?
- The Problem 2013 December 04
The problem, stated succinctly. This is why things don’t change.
- Lies My Teacher Told Me About Common Core 2013 December 03
I’ve been told all kinds of truths, half-truths, and outright lies about the Common Core State Standards. Let’s look at some data and bust some myths!