Here’s the quick monthly roundup for what I’ve written this month, organized by subject. I’ve provided links to make it easier to read the articles.
- Fear and Gratitude: Giving Thanks 2013 November 28
Nobody told me that Lyme disease comes with constant fear attached. Antibiotics help with the physical symptoms; here’s how I’m working on the mental ones.
- Try The Honey Badger Diet! 2013 November 10
This… is the honey badger (diet)! You may be surprised to learn that honey badgers do care about some things. They’re actually very sensitive to the size bias and body loathing that are rampant among Mellivora capensis. Honey badgers receive a lot of negative messaging encouraging them to hate their bodies and feel stupid about their eating …
- Why You SHOULD Get Chills From That “Homeless Veteran Timelapse Transformation” Video 2013 November 08
Man, we loves us some transformations. Makeovers, interventions, whatever you want to call ‘em. We love the idea of saviors, too: people who come in and do the transforming/making over/intervening. This is enshrined on a pretty deep level of our culture, from religious transformers to Home Makeover shows to boot camps to alcoholism interventions to Teach …
- Site Policies 2013 November 08
- Honey Badger Empathy Survey 2013 November 07
Survey conducted using Standard Empathy Instrument (Quantitative) version 2.5, n = 577. In light of the perhaps-surprising results of the initial survey, we attempted to repeat the survey to investigate whether the initial results were anomalous. Regrettably, nearly all the honey badgers had engaged themselves in other activities (seeking honey and larvae, hunting and eating cobras, …
- Of Mice and Mindsets 2013 November 05
What can we learn about growth mindsets from a video of a Russian mouse trying to steal a cookie? Quite a lot, actually.
- Reachout Training Re-Design: Early Results 2013 November 21
Early results from the total overhaul of Reachout’s training program in 2013. Check out how things look!
- Compassion and the Little Prince 2013 November 19
What can we learn about crisis work from the Little Prince and a retired counselor from Mississippi? We can learn how compassion and love connect in crisis.
- Pathologizing Language 2013 November 06
Most of you have seen the video about the Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger, with narration by Randall, somewhere in your travels around the internet. I delight in using the honey badgers to teach about crisis hotlines; we’re using the honey badger in our initial training to talk about inappropriate sexual callers, frequent callers, the …
- Pipers’ Gathering 2013 Instructors Concert (listen) 2013 November 23
Listen to music by Hollis Easter from the 2013 Pipers’ Gathering Instructors Concert in Burlington VT. Five videos on this page with liner notes. Bagpipes!
- Frankenstein’s Musical Laboratory 2013 November 17
Dr. Frankenstein cooks up a new musical instrument in his lab, combining the beauty of a violin with the speed of a typewriter.
- Play faster and better with this 1 weird old trick! 2013 November 12
(Humor, partially) Scores of performers have improved their work with this 1 weird old trick, and you can too! It’s easy, free, and available anywhere. Click for more!
- The Sheriff’s Star: Playing Math! 2013 November 26
How can you make a regular 7-pointed badge for the Sheriff of El Dorado County without a protractor? Does it work with any number of points? We’re playing math!
- The Sheriff’s Star: Arithmetic Solution 2013 November 27
An arithmetic solution to the Sheriff’s Star problem. Suitable for math students of any age (homeschoolers, public school kids, whatever!).
- Triangles and Pyramids: Playing Math! 2013 November 10
Triangles and Pyramids Playing math! I like playing with math. These days, I don’t need that much math for my daily life–enough to calculate whether I’ve got enough gas to get from A to B, to balance my checkbook, to budget for the training class I’m starting, to figure out expenses on Frost and Fire‘s new album… …
- How Much Does Grad School Cost? 2013 November 14
Grad school is expensive in lots of ways, but people often forget opportunity cost. In this post, we look at how much more money you have to make after graduate school to make up for the lost earnings and growth you missed during school, and we reach some conclusions about how much you need to …
- How Much Does Grad School Cost — Followup 2013 November 16
This post follows up on some things people have raised in the lively discussion about my earlier post, How Much Does Grad School Cost? Please start with that post if you’re just joining the discussion now. Thanks!
- What’s Wrong With Your Savings Account? 2013 November 01
People use savings accounts for the wrong thing. Savings accounts aren’t for making your money grow; they’re more like insurance policies. Here’s why.
Cooking and herbalism
- Finishing the dandelion tincture 2013 November 15
Straining and bottling a homemade dandelion tincture (whole herb), with lots of photos. Part two of a series.
Technology and fun
- Did Anyone Expect The Hipster Inquisition? 2013 November 24
Somebody must have seen it coming… (comics)
- Iconic Hipsters 2013 November 23
Hipsters are so ironic that their ironic irony has now become ironically iconic. Ironic, no? (comic)
- Want to leverage your language skills to impact people more? 2013 November 21
Want to leverage your skills to maximally impact the people you’re talking to? Click this slightly snarky post about levers and leverage to learn more!